Once you have arrived in the Malta Valley, you will soon discover that there is a lot to discover here. It is not only the countless sports facilities, top culinary delights and fantastic nature that make the valley so charming. Also sights – like the parish church Maria Hilf – are waiting to be discovered.
The history of Malta– This is how the Maltatal was born –
When the Slavs came to Carinthia in the 6th century, a change of language and culture followed. The Slavs adopted the pre-Slavic names, including Malta (origin: Illyrian Malantina = mountain castle; Late Syriac: Malontina = stone area or stone castle). Since this Illyrian period there has been a continuity of settlement in the Maltatal.
- It is estimated that the first documented mention of Malta took place in 994 AD. The original document no longer exists, but there is a copy.
- In 1639 the dominion of Gmünd (including the castles of Dornbach and Kronegg) was sold to Count Christof Lodron. This dominion, to which large parts of the Malta Valley also belonged, became
inalienablefamily property of the Lodron family.
- In 1849 the three cadastral communities, Dornbach, Malta and Maltaberg, which had existed since the beginning of the 19th century, became the political community of Malta. The first mayor of this municipality was Anton Pucher, landlord to Fischertratten.
- In 1903, the flood disaster, an event of the century, caused immense damage, the repair of which also required the self-help of the population. Bridges that had been torn away were renewed. But it took a long time until the consequences of the mudflows were completely eliminated.
- In 1967, the “Dr. Gustav Renker- Ruhe” was built next to the Hochsteg. Since then, it has been a reminder of the Swiss writer who gave the Maltatal the name “Valley of Falling Waters” (1930).
- In the years 1971-1978 the construction of the Maltatal Hochalmstraße and power plant group Malta (with the Kölnbreinsperre) took place.
A fresco on the outer wall of the parish church Maria Hilf has been causing a worldwide sensation since 2002. During renovation work, a
A short extract from the history of Malta – with the friendly support of Mag. Scherübel.
Regionality– We support local businesses! –
Cosmetic & Nailart
Cosmetic & Nailart
Offers in the studio:
- Facial treatments with high-quality natural cosmetics from CA&LE Cosmetics
- Eyelash extension
- Hair removal with resin or sugaring
- Acrylic modelling
- Natural nail reinforcement
Phone: 0681 84828012
Dates by arrangement!
- Pedicure & manicure
- Fur- & Mineral room